Monday, January 10, 2011

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis

Title:   ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis 
Info: YA Science Fiction/Fantasy

Published by:  Razorbill / Penguin
In Stores:  Today  1.11.11

Description:
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awake on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into a brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship—tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Cover: Pretty Cool, it is reversible and on the back has a map/blueprint of Godspeed, the ship. Although (I hate to say this) it looks better on-line than in person. I think because of it being a double cover, it doesn't stay on well at all. Definitely easier to read without the cover. Not that that's a bad thing, I often take the cover off when reading a hardcover ;-)


Review:  
I really enjoyed this book, read through it in about 2 days.  The story/point of view alternates between Elder and Amy.   And, even though at first I was unsure about the way it jumped back and forth,  I ended up really liking that.  The switching of who is telling the story allows the reader to 'see' things from 2 very different points of view.  I was able to feel the emotions of both characters.  And trust me, there's lots of stuff worth feeling here.  I like the chemistry between Elder & Amy from the beginning, through Elder's awkwardness at something so very new to him and Amy's hesitance to accept her fate.

I just found out that this is the first book in a trilogy.  I was pretty satisfied with the ending, but can definitely see that there is much more story to be told and I look forward to seeing how things develop.

New favorite words:  chutz, brilly and frex :-) Absolutely loved the way Revis used those words in the book!! I think I'll start to slip them into my everyday life, as in... Don't be a frexing Chutz, read ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, it's really Brilly!  
Thanks to my super sister, Rebecca (Sometimes NonSense) I read Beth Revis' ACROSS THE UNIVERSE last week, before it officially released. But you can get it today as it hits stores everywhere!!

2 comments:

girlsinthestacks.com said...

I think I am running out today to get this book.

Okay, I think I might have a probly (lol) with the "new" words. Sometimes those distract me.

JennM said...

HA HA the words weren't really distracting at all. They weren't overused and sort of just blended in.

I do recommend the book!