Monday, February 21, 2011

Review: IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES by Lisa Schroeder

Published by Aladdin an imprint of Simon & Schuster (purchased at a Scholastic Book Fair)
For Ages: 8-12        In Stores: Now

Description: (from Publisher's Website)
Twelve-year-old Isabel is dying to get out of Oregon. She spends her free time in the library, reading and dreaming about faraway places. When her mom decides to open a cupcake shop in their little town of Willow, Isabel feels just like buttercream frosting to a cupcake-stuck. It seems as if it will be another disappointing summer, until Isabel learns of a baking contest. If she can come up with a winning recipe, she might have a chance of competing in the bake-off in New York City! But Isabel's best friend, Sophie, is also entering the contest, and things always seem to go Sophie's way. To make matters worse, Isabel and her mom don't exactly see eye-to-eye on the type of recipe Isabel should enter. In this sweet treat by popular teen author Lisa Schroeder, Isabel discovers that maybe it's not about where you go in life as much as it is about enjoying the view from wherever you are.


Review by Jess (with a little help from Jenn):
This book was one of my favorite reads of 2010. My Mom and I saw IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES in a flyer for my school’s bookfair and my Mom said that she and my Aunt had worked with the author on their website (FallenArchangel). She said the book wasn’t out in stores yet and told me to get it. After a few chapters I was really glad that I got it.

The main character, Isabel, is 12 and her Mom loved to bake cupcakes. Isabel liked to bake with her Mom, who was getting ready to open her own Cupcake Shop. But, Isabel had dreams of her own, to travel away from where she lives. When she finds out about a baking contest with a prize that takes the winner to New York City she gets busy creating her own recipe. Just when Isabel comes up with an idea; her Mom tires to convince her that she should bake a cupcake recipe to help attract attention to the new Cupcake Shop instead of her own recipe. Isabel has to decide if she wants to do her own thing or do it her Mom’s way.

I really felt like I understood Isabel because she is close to my age. I understood how she felt when she had to make a big decision because I have trouble making decisions a lot. I recommended this book to my best friend and think that most girls my age would enjoy it.

I really wanted there to be a sequel so I was really excited when I found out about SPRINKLES AND SECRETS which is about Sophie, Isabel’s best friend. SPRINKLES AND SECRETS is being released in September and I can’t wait to read it.



Extras:  Read Chapter 1 of IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES  here

1 comment:

Stephanie Pellegrin said...

Lovely review, Jess! This has been on my to-be-read list for a while.